Sunday, June 3, 2007

When Life Hurts/God's Suffering

Wow, haven't done this in a while, but today in church something clicked for me.

Today we talked about God's suffering in our lives. He doesn't give us suffering for a reason, sometimes he tests us with suffering. Suffering isn't good, its not like we like it so much that we sign up for "Suffering 101" (tm) Pastor Jeff.
God doesn't like suffering either, but its just a way of life. Sometimes through hard times (like when we're suffering) we grow closer to God.

Sometimes we suffer when we talk to people about Jesus. They make fun of us and don't believe us and that sometime hurts.

Verses from this morning:

1 Peter 4:10, 11, 13, 16, 19
10 Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.
11 If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.
13 But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.
16 However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.
19 So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.

In a nutshell of those verses, it says:
If you have a gift that God has given you, use in a way that shows that God is being praised through you. You might be overwelmed with his gifts, but His glory is going to be revealed through you no matter what happens. You will suffer when you are Christian, but don't be ashamed to proclaim his name even though some people won't like it.
When you believe in God, commit yourselves to him and continue to do good.

It's funny how much stuff you can learn in an hour.

That's all for today.

~Sarah~

2 comments:

Linda Wheeler said...

Dear Sarah,

I'm sugarpi from www.touchofclay.net, I came across your blog and shared it with some of my Claymates!

Your montages are awesome!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

CONGRATS ON SEEING CLAY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN AUGUST!!

Can't wait to read about it here in your blog!

Your story is really heartwarming! I know Clay would be thrilled to read your blog; maybe someone will send it to him.

Sugarpi/Linda

Steph said...

Hi Sarah!

I've been meaning to respond to this blog all month! With doctor's appointments and stuff I just haven't had the chance.


It is very true that our suffering can cause growth. I see that in my own life. I think sometimes we end up closest to God when we are as a broken as we can be. It is through our brokenness that God can make us whole.


I remember reading a story once that really touched my heart. I hope I don't lose something through my translation.


Once a lady in a small group at church was asked to draw how she felt inside. She drew a vase that was broken in many pieces. She said she felt broken and hopeless. Some of the people in her small group encouraged her and allowed her to see Christ through them. She began to read books on suffering and God's love. A few months later she redrew how she felt inside. This time, the vase was still broken, only now it was put back together and in the hands of God. Through the broken pieces light shown through.


Anyway--very insightful blog.

Love you, Steph